The demands of each organization’s Human Resources department are numerous; ensuring the timely fill of position openings, answering payroll questions, handling conflict between employees… How can one possibly figure out a way to prioritize work tasks effectively when almost everything is a priority?
Here are some suggestions to help with task completion and time management:
- Identify your business objectives and assess the value brought to the organization by each task’s completion
- Make a master list of all your work tasks (monthly, weekly and daily)
- Identify “urgent versus important” with the help of a Priorities Matrix
- Separate tasks with seemingly similar priorities using the ABCDE method
- Break large tasks into smaller pieces
- Get help from technology / productivity tools
- Order tasks by estimated effort, and start with something you typically avoid
- Assess what kind of distractions you face frequently, and come up with solutions to keep them under control
- Budget non-negotiable time for tasks that must be completed before their deadline
- Delegate tasks, and ask for help whenever possible or necessary
- Be adaptable and flexible
- Perfectionism can hinder meeting deadlines; give tasks your best effort and then let them go
- Publicize your norms – make sure your requestors understand how much time a project might take and what your backlog might be
- Give early warnings on possible missed deadlines
- Measure progress, and get an accountability partner – this can be a Mentor or Direct Supervisor
Since pioneering the industry, we have grown to serve clients across North America who turn to us to help meet their business goals and objectives by managing HR processes more efficiently and effectively and outsourcing the services not core to their business.
Ask us how we can help!